Today I’m going to show you how to get rid of a headache quickly and naturally without medication.
I discovered this technique accidentally and it brought me relief from chronic headaches. This technique brings fast headache relief for me and I hope it will for you too.
This home remedy works best for sinus headaches, flu headaches, allergy headaches and tension headaches where you feel a lot of stiffness around the shoulders and tension all over the head.
How does this work?
If you dabble in acupuncture, you probably know that there are two “headache points” at the base of the skull, above the nape of the neck. You’re supposed to press hard into those points for headache relief. That gets the blood flow back up into the brain.
When I had a terrible headache, pressing these points created even more tightness in the head because of the tightening of the arms caused by applying pressure on these points. It just didn’t work for me.
It was one of those days that after trying 10 different things to get rid of a bad headache (including medication), on a whim I decided to gently tap on these points using a densely packed hairbrush. The relief was instant. It immediately made sense why.
The bristles of a hairbrush break up the energetic congestion and increase blood flow to and from the head, neck and shoulders. This is better than using hands to massage or tap because with a hairbrush you’re reaching many more points per square inch and with much greater intensity. You hardly have to use any pressure for it to work, so it is easy on the arms as well.
Stuff you need
- a flat hair brush / paddle brush with dense bristles (something like this brush)
- (optional) a round hair brush with a small radius (something like this brush)
- a swimming cap / shower cap
- If you hair is long, tie it up with a soft band that does not cause tugging. If you have a swimming cap at hand, wear it. That will prevent the hair from getting caught up in the bristles of the brush. A shower cap may work as well.
- Take a flat hair brush / paddle brush and start patting gently all across the nape of the neck. Stay longer on areas that are especially painful or stiff.
- Then move down to the shoulder blades and continue gentle tapping movements.
- Go as far down the backbone as you can manage.
- Then move to the side of the neck and starting behind the ears, come all the way down to the base of the neck continuing gentle tapping movements.
- Starting in line with the ears, tap all across the back of the head moving down to the base of the skull. If tapping here increases the pain, use a round hair brush to create rolling movements down to the base of the neck.
- Starting right below the ears, come down to the base of the neck and then straight down to the front of the body ending at the chest. Do this on both sides of the body.
- End with tapping on the fleshy, webbed area between the base of your index finger and the thumb. This is also one of the classic headache relief acupressure points. Tap for about 30 seconds on each hand.
- What you should immediately feel is a relaxing of tightness of the nerves at the back of the head.
- You may notice that shoulders are no longer stiff but sort of drop into a relaxed pose.
- You may also notice some burping.
- Mind will feel like it has slowed down a bit and stresses are melting away.
- Deep sighs may happen spontaneously and they indicate you are indeed relaxing.
- You may feel a little sleepy in which case avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
- You may notice that headache goes away or reduces to a faint sensation.
photo courtesy dm-set@flickr
Tapping wisdom in your inbox
Targeted guidance on everyday challenges and accompanying Tapping to seal it all in.
Subscribe FREE to get your Tapping toolkit: